AWS re:Invent 2016 sessions not to miss: fun times, saving at scale, and best practices
AWS continues to publish new session summaries on the official re:Invent 2016 Session Planner. We curated a few new event highlights and took a peek at a handful of exciting sessions about saving at scale and AWS best practices that we believe can be of value for this year’s attendees.
If you’re interested in attending, registration is still open for the 2016 event.
Work hard, play hard
After a long day of learning new things about AWS, meeting great people, and hearing stories from other AWS users, reward yourself with a good time. Along with the legendary AWS parties and pub crawls, there are a variety of other events that accommodate many styles of “taking a breather”.
For the foodies looking to spice things up, the third-annual Tatonka wing-eating challenge will be the place to do it. For those wanting to get a solid run in during their time in Vegas, there’s also the first-ever re:Invent 5k run. Check out the AWS re:Invent After Hours page to learn more about these and other events.
Saving at Scale with Reserved Instances
Join Cloudability at our upcoming re:Invent session, “ENT307 – Saving at Scale with Reserved Instances”, to learn more about modifying RIs to save big on AWS. We’ll go over how to identify unused hours and modify them to better match changing infrastructures while capturing the most savings possible. Once it’s available, claim your seat using re:Invent’s handy Reserved Seating feature!
The talk will cover how to account for Reserved Instances and their upfront costs, how to centralize and streamline the buying process, and how to choose and optimize the right Reserved Instances to best match your operational needs.
Other talks about scaling to keep an eye on
- CMP201 – All You Need To Know About Auto Scaling: Auto Scaling helps users adapt and adjust the capacity of compute to meet the demands of the apps or projects that you run on AWS. Check this talk out to learn about how Auto Scaling goes beyond adding and removing EC2 instances.
- WIN402 – How I learned to embrace DevOps and Configure Infrastructure at Scale:
Automation is more than just saving time, it can save serious amounts of cloud costs if your devops teams plan and develop it correctly. Register for this talk to hear about enterprise-class cases of AWS automation and configuring it at scale to deliver major business value.
Keeping up with AWS best practices
- CMP304 – T2, The Tiny Giant: Best Practices from our customers: The T2 family represents the burstable, loveable, highly-affordable instance of the EC2 bunch. Learn how AWS customers are pushing the T2 family to the max using EC2 best practices in this session.
- SAC303 – Become an AWS IAM Policy Ninja in 60 Minutes or Less: As your AWS environment, resources, and usage scales, more users will require access and having a clear understanding of Identity and Access Management (IAM) will be crucial. Attend this session to learn more about setting and adjusting IAM policies as well as some use cases to detail the process.
- WWPS302 – Governance Strategies for Cloud Transformation: Cloud governance is critical for orgs that want to build and maintain a cost-effective and optimized cloud infrastructure. Check out this session to see a well-developed cloud governance model at work and how it improves operational integrity, reliability, performance, and more.
Get more re:Invent 2016 updates from Cloudability
As we get closer to the big date, we’ll be keeping an eye on new Session Planner talks, events, and big news. Sign up for our exclusive updates on the 2016 Session Planner and updates here: